Affidavit of Support
I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
Purpose of Form
This form is required for most family-based immigrants and some employment-based immigrants to show that they have adequate means of financial support and are not likely to rely on the U.S. government for financial support.
If you are filing for your spouse or other family member, you should make sure you meet the poverty guidelines before filing, or make sure you have a joint sponsor who will be willing to act as the beneficiary's joint sponsor.
This part of the process can seriously delay the processing of your case if you have not considered this in advance.
There is no fee when filed with USCIS or abroad with the Department of State (DOS).
DOS does charge a fee when this form is filed in the U.S.
Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms
I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, and I-864W
Warning: Do not take any action described below without authorization from the National Visa Center (NVC). Taking action without the
NVC's authorization could result in a delay in processing.
If the petitioner has received notification to read the Affidavit of Support Instructions and download the appropriate form:
- Review the General Information and FAQ.
- Review page 1 of the I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption Form, to determine if the petitioner is exempt from the Affidavit of
- Download the I-864P - Poverty Guidelines.
- Review page 1 of the I-864EZ - Affidavit of Support Form, to determine if the petitioner is eligible to submit the I-864EZ.
- If these forms do not apply, the petitioner is required to submit an I-864 - Affidavit of Support - and possibly an I-864A - Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member - as well.
- Complete the appropriate Affidavit of Support form. When completing the forms, please keep in mind:
- The Department of State prefers that the Affidavit of Support form(s) be completed on your computer using CAPITAL letters.
- Following the detailed instructions included with each form (I-864W, I-864EZ, I-864, and I-864A) is very important.
- After completing the form on the computer, print it. The forms cannot be submitted electronically.
- Review the appropriate checklist to verify that the proper form has been completed correctly:
- Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption, Form I-864W, Checklist
- >I-864EZ, Checklist
- >Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, Checklist
- Joint Sponsor’s Documents (if required) Checklist
- Mail the form and any required supporting documents to the NVC. Be sure to include the bar code sheet for the applicant’s case.
*Important Notice For Sponsors
The Affidavit of Support forms are not required to be notarized. You should know however that by signing an Affidavit for
Support the sponsor certifies under penalty of perjury that the information provided and any transcript and/or photocopy of
tax documentation is true and correct.